Friday, October 30, 2009

Counting by 5's

I haven't posted in a while . . .

For the past few weeks, we've been working on addition. I've been trying to give Z1 a number of methods he can use to solve addition equations. Once we've mastered addition, we're going to move on to counting by 2's, 5's and 10's. I'm especially interested in the counting by 5's because once he can do that comfortably, we can move on in our learning about telling time on an analog clock. Right now, he can tell you the time on the hour.

Yesterday, we took a wonderful hiking trip with some of our closest homeschooling friends. The drive was about 45 minutes and while we were driving, School House Rock was playing. Our friends had bought the box set on Ebay. Talk about a blast from the past. Well, I heard this song:


It's the very same song which taught me to count by 5's. Luckily, Z1 loves it and so we'll be playing it a lot. He also likes Zero, My Hero. I can't believe how well done School House Rock is and I'm excited that someone has brought these wonderful learning songs back into my consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment