Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tangrams

At my job, as part of the critical thinking portion of the math program, we have the kids do something similar to tangrams (they actually use pattern blocks).  I think it's a great and fun thinking tool.  Here's some history on tangram puzzles.  Tangram  puzzles really work out your mind and force you to think in different ways.  After someone mentioned on Facebook that their child was working with pattern blocks, I was motivated to give tangrams a try myself.  We did some puzzles online but we were getting rather frustrated so I went in search of a tangram set--something we could touch and move around with our fingers.  I discovered Classic Tangoes, a quality game with lots of puzzle cards (and solutions).  It comes in a very compact case and we really have a good time figuring out the puzzles--or at least trying.  Most of the time, we give up and "cheat" but even after we look at the solution, we're always fascinated by how the puzzle is solved.  Heck, even putting the pieces back in the case is a challenge.  

Another game I discovered is the Think Fun Block (interestingly enough, this game is used at my job too).  I didn't buy it but it's on my wish list. I love these games that are challenging and not electronic!  And I'm very excited because here is a great way to learn about math that feels just like playing.

I will print out some simple tangram block templates for Z2 now that I think about it . . . he always wants to play with the tangrams but doesn't know how.  He really enjoys puzzles and this is a great way to get him involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment