Thursday, April 23, 2009

Learning the Days of the Week

I'm still trying to work out what our approach to homeschooling will be. I'm pretty sure I won't unschool but I don't want to do school at home. It will probably be some kind of mix between what Z1 is interested in and what I'd like to see him be able to do. The whole point of homeschooling for me is to achieve a nice balance of ambition/drive to learn and enjoyment/comfort in learning. I keep educational benchmarks (i.e. what he should be doing in what grade) in mind while being loose and flexible.

Anyway, back to learning the days of the week. To start, I made a YouTube Playlist called Days of the Week. From that, Z1 has learned the names and order of the days of the week quite easily. Now we are working on learning what day it is, and then, logically, what yesterday was and what tomorrow will be.

We're also getting familiar with a calendar. So much drama with the calendar! I couldn't get to stick it up there with tape at all! It kept coming down. Chris found some kind of putty at Target and it works like a charm. (Don't you just love a useful man?) So every day, on our whiteboard we write the day and date and then stick up the corresponding number onto the calendar taking the opportunity to count from one till that day. We then write on our white board what yesterday was and what tomorrow will be. We describe the weather and write it up along with a cheesy illustration that I draw. Then we talk about what we'll do that day and write it. Sometimes in the space that's left, we practice writing numbers or writing his name.

I like the rhythm. I can be quite regimented though so I'm trying to be relaxed. Yesterday, Z1 just wasn't in the mood so I just did it myself and put it up there. No big deal. I think it's important in and of itself to have it up there, for him to see it.

I'm hoping to get some words on cardstock that describe the weather so he can match it with an illustration. Some felt might come into play with that somehow. I'm still thinking.

Photo Credit: "Original Calendar" by mamako7070 on Flickr.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment