Wednesday, April 29, 2009

At some point

After you decide to homeschool, I suppose you can expect to be discouraged and/or doubt if you're doing the right things in your homeschooling or even the right thing by homeschooling at all. I think it's healthy, in some ways, to constantly be reevaluating what you're doing to make sure that it's making an impact, that your child is learning and that everyone is happy and satisfied with the progress.

What I miss as a novice homeschooler is the input of seasoned homeschoolers. I knit and crochet and reading some of the issues novice knitters and crocheters face, I kind of chuckle sometimes. The simplicity of the answer to a seemingly complex problem (to the newbie) is something astounding. And I'm sure the same applies to homeschooling. I'm always looking to connect with folks who have been there and done that with this homeschooling thing. Especially folks of color.

Some questions I ask:
How much should I push when he says he doesn't want to do something?
How rigid should I be in my scheduling? Should I schedule in "chill-out" days?
How do I keep little brother from interfering with our learning?
How do I plug in the holes when I'm teaching something I'm not quite 100% confident about or just not comfortable with (like learning about snakes)?

It takes a little faith to believe that I'm doing the right thing. Most important for me to remember is that I can find opportunities to teach him in every situation. I just have to keep my mind about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment