Monday, May 25, 2009

Getting it together learning wise . . .

I know I have a tendency to be regimented/rigid. Homeschooling presents me with a great opportunity to learn flexibility. Still, I know for my own sanity, it will be important to have some kind of learning schedule. Something predictable that I can look forward to.

A week or two ago, I started to feel as if I was not doing enough academically with Z1. A lot of that has to do with the fact that Z2 is so mobile that most of my energy is spent running around after him. To get anything done with Z1, either Chris has to be home to take him or he has to be put in his play pen, which he hates.

Anyway, I was starting to feel pressure and inadequacy and decided that I would just write out a little something to do academically daily. After all, at this age (preschool) the main focus, in my opinion, should be on play as that is the way preschoolers actually learn. I don't think it harmful, though, to practice some skills. I don't pressure Z1 to do any of these activities. I just kind of throw it out there that we'll be doing the activity and some point during the day.

Our Theme for May has been Birds.
Some books we've been using:
Birds by Kevin Henkes
Riki's Birdhouse
What Makes a Bird a Bird?

THE SCHEDULE
Monday
1. Discuss the day of the week and the weather
2. Work on handwriting in handwriting workbook
3. Bird nursery rhymes/songs

Tuesday
1. Discuss the day of the week and the weather
2. Science
-view bird videos
-look through bird books
-discuss what birds eat, where they live, what makes a bird a bird

Wednesday
1. Discuss the day of the week and the weather
2 Picture drawing while listening to book (this month, the book is a book about birds)
3. Bird nursery rhymes

Thursday
1. Discuss the day of the week and the weather
2. Math
-counting and number recognition
-patterns

Friday
1. Discuss the day of the week and the weather
2. Art activity/lacing beads
3. Sight words

I use this Kindergarten Curriculum Guide to guide my instruction. According to this, Z1 is on the kindergarten level (even though he's preschool age). That's comforting and lets me know that I'm doing okay.

I'm sure we could add more to the schedule but right now, along with all the other activities we do during the week, I think this is adequate. At least, that's all I can handle. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment