Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Right here, right now.

In my last post I was struggling with the Right Start Math curriculum but I'm sticking with it.  Today's lesson (working with 10s) was actually pretty interesting so I'm encouraged.

Aside from that, we just started the All About Spelling program level 1.  It will be really easy for Z1 since we've covered much of the material (syllables and vowels/consonants) but I'm hoping it'll build his confidence and fill some gaps.  

Last Friday, I went down to NYCHEA's annual meeting at the ROC.  It took us over an hour on the train to get down there.  And then when we got down there, I realized that I could not fully participate since Z2 is just a touch too young to hang out independently with other children (he still hits and bites on occasion) but he is too old (and disruptive) to have stayed quietly in the meeting room.  So I didn't garner much from the meeting at all.  One thing I did hear a little bit more about was the Charlotte Mason method and I'm going to try to get some more information on it.  (Currently, my lean is toward classical homeschooling in the vein of The Well-Trained Mind.)  What I learned from the whole exhausting experience was that it is just not the time.  I have been struggling so hard to get us involved in groups and trying to get us doing things with other homeschoolers.  I have been repeatedly frustrated.  I am now accepting that when the time comes, building our community and getting the support I need will be simple.  It won't be exhausting.  It won't be frustrating or stressful.  As with everything else, I'm learning to be right here, right now.

On a different note, it was so exciting today!  At the library program we go to regularly on Tuesdays, they introduced a new thing.  We can now borrow bags full of materials (puzzles, coloring pages, puppets, books, etc.) all focused on a particular theme.  The theme of the bag we borrowed this week is "Community Helpers" which is awesome because one of the aims for first grade is learning about . . . you guessed it community helpers!  So that was a wonderful discovery!  And I'm reminded that for all the things I don't have, there are many things I do.  So I'm grateful!

So I'm feeling very positive about things right now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really interested to hear how you like All About Spelling as I'm considering it for my kids.

    Dee (formerly tifi)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my son, I think All About Spelling is overkill. But I could see how it could really help a struggling reader or someone who just needs different approaches to spelling/reading.

    ReplyDelete