Sunday, December 5, 2010

Science, science, science . . .

I am really having a difficult time incorporating science learning in a consistent way.  So far, I've just been following Z1's cues.  Over the past couple of months, we've studied seasons, what makes day and night, and bats.  I'm not using any curriculum:  we've just been borrowing books and using online resources (like Lesson Pathways).  Anyway, I'd like to become more consistent about it and I'm looking for ideas.  We don't really do experiments and I'm trying to figure out why I'm not more enthusiastic about it.  I've borrowed Mudpies to Magnets about two different times and I still can't get into it.    I discovered Supercharged Science and while I like what I see on there, the price is just completely out of the question. This book, Real Science 4 Kids might have something but I am just loathe to put out more money. 

I can't say I had a really good science education (up until I got to high school) and I'd like to offer that to Z1 but I feel kind of limited and unenthusiastic about it.  I really don't want to pass that on.  But I think that for the rest of this kindergarten year, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing (but being more consistent) and then maybe come summer, we'll become members at the Liberty Science Center and that might spark something in both Z1 and I.  I'm also trying to remember that he's in kindergarten and I'm sure that as time goes on, I'll be able to enroll him in science programs offered by the various parks, recreation departments, and nature centers.  Just recently, we participated in a program at Westmoreland Sanctuary where we learned about birds and made a bird feeder.  We're having an awesome time watching birds feed at the feeder and it's amazing how much information we picked up about birds just by participating.  

So I guess somewhere deep inside I really believe we'll learn about science in a natural and un-forced kind of way because truly, it's all around us.  We keep our eyes and ears open, take advantage of so much of the still-wild spaces we have around us by going on hikes and supporting our nature centers and we'll learn plenty.  After all, we started talking about night and day when Z1 noticed that it was pitch black by the time it was dinner time.  We got into bats because he was using the computers at the library and the program introduced him to Stellaluna (a beautiful book by the way).  

I also think I can reasonably commit to one science experiment or activity a month.  Nothing too ambitious.  Just some activity related to what we're doing or experiencing.  

By the time the boys get to high school and need to learn the more complex, knitty-gritty science, I think we'll be able to utilize our local community colleges. 

4 comments:

  1. We are happy you are incorporating LessonPathways.com into your homeschool lessons for science. I think most homeschool parents have questioned their ability, their enthusiasm, their curriculum choices, etc., at one time or another. You are not alone! If you have questions, feel free to drop me a line at ContactUs@LessonPathways.com.

    Be sure to stop by our Facebook page for more education inspiration!

    -Christina S.
    LessonPathways.com Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Sid the Science Kid site on PBS. There's a teacher's area and they have tons of experiments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right; every thing they do is a science experiment! For preschoolers, curiosity, observation, and passion are just as, if not more important than, facts and information, since they really haven't developed reasoning ability yet. Free play, baking, handwork, and spending time in nature (time to examine bugs and play with water, watch the clouds, and burrow in the grass), are the kind of exploration in physics and the world that will drive their curiosity later, when their logic develops. Igniting interest, curiosity, and passion are the foundations of scientific inquiry and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete